Thursday, February 19, 2009

Chinese New Year

This year, we celebrated Chinese New Year (or Lunar New Year, as we've known it in Korea) in another part of Asia - Guangzhou, China, to be precise - and it was c-c-c-old! For those of you living in Northern China, South Korea, and Canada, it was certainly not as cold as you've experienced. However, one thing remains to be said: YOU have central heating (whimps!!), we do NOT.

In Guangzhou, Chinese New Year is usually the COLDEST time of year, reaching only a few degrees above 0 celcius, and legend has it that if it is not, the year will bring "bad luck".

So to bring in the New Year, Glenn and I ventured over to the Sports' Stadium and partook in the festivities.

I can't say I understand the reason behind all the inflatable hammers, but to each his own!


I was absolutely intrigued by this unique plant, so I enquired about it. Expecting to hear some exotic and scientific name, I was a little taken back to learn that it's called the nipple plant . . . I kid you not! Now aren't you glad I asked?

Angelica and I dressed to the nines in our winter garb!



The 15th day of the New Year is called the Lantern Festival. This festival is celebrated at night with beautiful lantern displays and often a parade of children carrying their own.

1 comments:

Donnah Ciempka said...

You got some awesome shots here.